The opposition leader is undergoing a new trial from prison, behind closed doors. The result is a foregone conclusion
Author: admin
CIA and US Special Forces Raids. Globalization and the Geopolitics of Oil
All Global Research articles can be read in 51 languages by activating the Translate Website button below the author’s name.
To receive Global Research’s Daily Newsletter (selected articles), click here.
Click the share button above to email/forward this article …
The post CIA and US Special Forces Raids. Globalization and the Geopolitics of Oil appeared first on Global Research.
The Eurasian Economic Forum and Potential for an India-EAEU Free Trade Agreement
The Day After the Dollar
Why are NATO ISR and heavy weapons in South Ukraine Nuclear Power Plant?
Prigozhin has captivated the West – but pundits have no idea what is going on
Netanyahu: We need the Palestinian Authority but forget about a Palestinian state
The prime minister was discussing preparations for “the day after Abbas.”
By Batya Jerenberg, World Israel News
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu confidentially told a Knesset committee that the government is planning for “the day after” Mahmoud Abbas as president of the Palestinian Authority, Kan Reshet Bet reported Monday.
At the same meeting, he opposed any support for a Palestinian state.
He did not come out categorically against the PA when speaking in the Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee.
“We are preparing for the day after Abbas,” he said. “We need the Palestinian Authority. We cannot allow it to collapse. We also do not want it to collapse. We are prepared to help it financially. We have an interest in the Authority continuing to function; in the places where it manages to function it’s doing the job for us.”
“We have no interest in it falling,” he repeated.
On the other hand, he also said “categorically,” according to the report, “We have to eliminate their aspiration for a state.”
There are some voices on the Right that disagree that the PA is worth propping up – even in its current, less-than-state form. Samaria Regional Council head Yossi Dagan, for example, has openly called the Authority a “terrorist” group that not only allows, but also encourages anti-Israel attacks.
Others are fearful that if the PA fails, Hamas will swoop in, and having an Islamist, rejectionist, Iranian proxy on both Israel’s east and western borders would be far worse for the nation’s security.
Abbas, 88 and in the 19th year of his four-year term, is reportedly in poor health. Two weeks ago, the Lebanon-based, pro-Syrian Al-Akhbar newspaper cited multiple Fatah officials who claimed that Abbas’ medical condition has deteriorated to the point where he has often been left incapable of fulfilling his duties as PA chairman.
Late last year, reports surfaced of Palestinian-Egyptian-Jordanian meetings on how to keep the PA from collapsing in the event of Abbas’ death. There are several rival factions within the Authority, and it is not at all sure that open warfare would be prevented as their various leaders all want to occupy his office.
The post Netanyahu: We need the Palestinian Authority but forget about a Palestinian state appeared first on World Israel News.
Will Indian Rupee and Russian Ruble Rule Transactions Along the 7,200 km Transport Corridor in the Future?
India is looking at the rupee ruble payment system with Russia as a long term arrangement. An exercise that started off primarily to ease payments after Russia was barred from accessing the SWIFT international system as part of the stringent sanctions on Moscow, is no more a temporary project linked just to skirt the stringent measures
US will stop cooperative ventures with companies located beyond pre-’67 borders
“I object to the decision and think it is wrong,” Israeli Foreign Minister Eli Cohen stated.
By Batya Jerenberg, World Israel News
The Biden administration has ordered that any American government entity participating in scientific-technological ventures with Israeli companies located beyond the so-called Green Line end its collaboration. leading to a protest from Foreign Minister Eli Cohen.
An unnamed State Department official told Kan News that the directive “simply reflects the position of the United States over the years, which has been reaffirmed by this administration, according to which the status of the geographical areas that were under the Israeli administration after June 5, 1967 is a matter which remains subject to negotiations on their final status.”
Participating in these joint projects is thus “inconsistent with American policy,” he told Walla in a separate call.
The official added that the U.S. “greatly appreciates” the scientific and technological cooperation “with the “start-up nation,” saying that this solid cooperation will continue, the Kan report said.
Foreign Minister Eli Cohen criticized the move Sunday, telling reporters, “I object to the decision and think it is wrong.”
“In similar cases in the past, the Israeli government fully reimbursed parties damaged by such decisions,” he added.
Israel has agreements with other governments stipulating that their cooperative work would exclude companies in Judea and Samaria, the Golan Heights and eastern Jerusalem. For example, the multi-year, $111 billion Horizon Europe program, in which Israeli institutions bid for EU research and development grants, has this limitation.
In 2020, during the Trump presidency, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and then-U.S. Ambassador to Israel David Friedman signed a protocol removing these restrictions from three 1970s-era cooperative agreements.
“Plainly, this geographic restriction within these three agreements was an anachronism,” Friedman said at the festive ceremony, which was held at Ariel University in Samaria. “We are righting an old wrong, and we are strengthening yet again the unbreakable bond between our two countries.”
Friedman said on Sunday that the reversal was a mistake.
“Make no mistake,” he tweeted. “The United States, by this action, is embracing the BDS Movement, violating a binding bilateral agreement with Israel, and creating a lose/lose dynamic whereby the people of the region — Israelis and Palestinians — will lose the most.”
Senator Ted Cruz (R-Texas) condemned the Biden administration’s “antisemitic discrimination against Israel” by “instated a boycott against scientific and technological cooperation with Jews living in Judea and Samaria.”
He blasted the White House in his statement, charging it with being “pathologically obsessed with undermining Israel. Since day one of their administration they have launched campaigns against our Israeli allies that are granular, whole of government and done in secret.”
Referring to the latter point, he wrote, “And of course it was sent to Congress in secret, and only revealed because reporters found out. The Biden administration defends funding scientific researching Wuhan with the Chinese Communist Party but they’re discriminating against and banning cooperation with Jews based on where they live.”
Cruz vowed to “do everything possible to reverse this decision.”
Walla reported that the State Department had decided to rescind the emendations two years ago but it only became pertinent recently, when researchers in Ariel University applied for a grant to one of the relevant funds. This would disconnect it from the Netanyahu government’s latest approvals to construct thousands of housing units in Judea and Samaria, which the White House firmly opposes.
The U.S. informed Israel of the change two weeks ago, according to the reports.
The post US will stop cooperative ventures with companies located beyond pre-’67 borders appeared first on World Israel News.
Creative excuse? Wanna-be terrorist claims ‘curiosity’ behind failed Jerusalem rocket launch
Resident of PA-controlled village nabbed after setting up rocket in eastern Jerusalem neighborhood, claims he was motivated by “curiosity,” not by terror.
By World Israel News Staff
Israel’s Shin Bet security agency is investigating an incident in which a rocket was discovered in an Arab eastern Jerusalem neighborhood on Jerusalem Day last month, following repeated threats from terror groups to launch rockets at the city in order to disrupt the Flag Parade.
According to Hebrew-language media reports, the Shin Bet discovered the rocket and arrested the perpetrator in May, but the incident was barred from media publication until nearly a month after it occurred.
Abd al-Hakim Buatana, a resident of the Palestinian Authority-controlled town of Ajul in Samaria, had reportedly garnered know-how regarding assembling and launching rockets from the Telegram messaging application and internet research.
Buatna told the Shin Bet that he was not affiliated with any specific terror organization and that he had acted alone.
He also claimed that he had not planned to launch the rocket at any specific time and denied that he wanted to do so as an act of terror; rather, he said that he was motivated by “curiosity,” according to a Yediot Ahronot report.
Hebrew-language media reported that Buatna’s technical skills during the manufacturing and production processes were too poor to result in successful launches.
He reportedly admitted to the Shin Bet that he had been unable to launch any rockets, despite numerous previous attempts.
Authorities noted that the base of the rocket that Buatana had placed in eastern Jerusalem was old and damaged, suggesting that he possibly repurposed it from a previous attempt. There were no explosives contained within the rocket at the time it was discovered.
The investigation into the incident is ongoing, and Butana is currently being held by the Shin Bet.
The post Creative excuse? Wanna-be terrorist claims ‘curiosity’ behind failed Jerusalem rocket launch appeared first on World Israel News.