Person Dies From “Brain-Eating Amoeba” Contracted From Tap Water

Tragically, a person in Florida has succumbed to a highly rare form of “brain-eating” infection, as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported. The unfortunate case had been infected with Naegleria Fowleri through a nasal rinse using tap water. The individual passed away on the 20th of February.

The CDC has stated that this is the first reported case of such infection in the United States during winter. The state health department failed to disclose the patient’s exact location, but it was known to have taken place in Charlotte County, located in the southwest part of Florida.

Naegleria Fowleri is a single-celled organism often termed the “brain-eating amoeba.” The water containing the amoeba may go up through the nose, which could lead to a brain infection, as stated by the CDC. This infection is incredibly rare, with only three reported cases annually.

From 1962 to 2022, there have been 157 confirmed cases of the infection in the nation, with 37 of those cases coming from Florida. The Florida health department has warned people to avoid letting water go up their noses while showering or washing their faces. If using a sinus rinse solution, use only distilled or sterile water. It is important to note that the infection cannot be acquired by merely drinking tap water.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *